“Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?” “Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.”
How inscrutable do you think God’s ways are? To say that God’s ways are inscrutable means that his ways are past finding out. They are in the depth of a cavern that are unable to be searched by man. We could never make or build something that could ever get us to the bottom. What we know is what God has been pleased to reveal to us. And I believe heaven will be a place where we will spend eternity repelling down the sides and inspecting every detail. What a joy that will be.
Paul asks rhetorically, “who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor.” Do you have the mind of the Lord? I don’t mean to imply that you don’t have a mind, nor that your mind wasn’t a gift from the Lord. Rather, is your mind the mind of God, not in part, but in whole? — Me neither … But when was the last time you remember having God lay down on your couch so that you could give him some counsel? Maybe regarding the seasons, or possibly the weather hmmm? It is good to reminded of our place. We are creatures and God is our Creator.
(QUESTIONS FOR THE KIDS)
1. When was the last time you remember trying to give God counsel?
2. When you are around someone very much smaller and younger than you, do you like to be the one giving or receiving counsel?
3. Does it make you feel good when someone receives and applies some counsel that you have given to them?
4. How and where do we get counsel from God?
5. How do you think it makes God feel when we receive and apply his counsel to our lives?